Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Germany: How many sausages and beer can be consumed in 7 days?

The number is quite high actually.....They never seem to serve just one sausage but seem to pile about 6 on your plate. And instead of bread you get giant pretzels! See photo of one compared to Dwayne's noggin! With 3 days in Berlin and 4 days in Munich, we are done with Germany. Berlin is obviously a new city since it was flattened in WWII. It has been rebuilt but obviously does not have an old European feel. There are tons of parks partially due to the war but also because of the Wall. We did see the remanents which are preserved now and some are painted (Pink Floyd's " the Wall" kept running through my head while walking along the length). They have done a good job with WWII as well. The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe is stark but powerful with grey concrete blocks. Munich on the other hand still has a lot of old world feel. Since it is part of Bavaria, the beer halls are everywhere, outside, inside, down little sidestreets. You can find one just about everywhere. If beer is not your thing, the German white wine does the trick too! We did get out to Dachau which is just outside Munich. This was just as disturbing this time as it was the last time I was there. Today, during a walk around Munich we came across some surfers. Yes surfers on the river! The current is incredible and the standing wave beneath a bridge here is strong enough to surf. Had to post a picture of that as it was impressive. I thought of my surfing friends (Ann & Joel) and thought how much they would like to try! Sorry no pictures of Dwayne in lederhosen or me in a fraulin costume. I guess we did not drink enough beer!

2 comments:

  1. Well I have attempted a couple of time to post like I did the first time and can't remember - I know Henry it is a sign of old age. We just got back from vacation in the Okanagan so have got all caught up on your blogs. If I am successful in figuring this out I will post other comments but if not, well then there probably isn't a point in noting here but what the heck! Fabulous shots and commentary!! What a fantastic trip you guys are having and I fully feel the weight of your theme "Work is Overrated" right now along with a few other things. Keep up the blogging. Hugs to both of you from the three of us - The Russells

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god - I knew Sparky's head was huge but that really does put it in perspective!! Neat surfer shot too.

    ReplyDelete